Los Angeles Judgment Enforcement Lawyer
When you have invested time, funds, and other resources to obtain judgment against a California individual or entity, it can be disappointing to face challenges in enforcing it. Unfortunately, collecting the money owed to you by court order can be even more difficult than proving that you are entitled to it through litigation. The good news is that you have options to collect on an outstanding judgment, and you may even qualify to recoup some of the costs involved with doing so.
At the Obagi Law Group, P.C., our lawyers understand how frustrated you are when you encounter obstacles in enforcing a judgment. We will investigate and take all action necessary to ensure you obtain the funds, along with any other remedies available. Please contact our office to speak to a Los Angeles judgment enforcement lawyer about your rights, and check out some basic information regarding these cases.
California Laws on Enforcement of Judgment
The basis of enforcement actions is that you already won your case in court, through which you obtained an order for the other party to pay you money or turn over property. As judgment creditor, you are entitled to take additional action to collect from the judgment debtor. When that person or entity refuses, it is up to you to take advantage of your legal options under the California Code of Civil Procedure on enforcement of judgments.
One of the first steps is obtaining a writ of execution from the court, which opens the door to judgment enforcement through:
- An order to sell real estate and turn the proceeds over to you;
- Placing a lien on property, so that the debtor cannot sell it without paying the judgment;
- Levying the debtor’s bank accounts;
- Seizing any real estate or personal property that served as collateral in a contractual arrangement;
- Garnishing the wages of the debtor; and,
- Many other options allowed by law, as long as the asset does not qualify for an exemption.
How Our Judgment Enforcement Team Can Help
Our attorneys at the Obagi Law Group, P.C. will assist in obtaining the writ of execution, as well as the follow up tasks to satisfy the judgment. Initially, we will need to investigate the judgment debtor to identify assets that can be levied, seized, or attached. We have access to many resources and investigative skills to locate real estate and personal property. From there, we will tackle other issues, including:
- Filing a certified copy of the judgment in the county where the debtor may own real estate;
- Preparing the necessary documents, such as a lien or wage garnishment;
- The discovery process, if necessary to locate assets; and,
- Ensuring you get the full amount of the judgment, with interest.
Get Legal Help from a Los Angeles Judgment Enforcement Lawyer
Our team at the Obagi Law Group, P.C. is dedicated to pursuing all available legal means to collect the amount due to you by an individual or business organization. To learn more about how we can help with the process, please contact us at 424-284-2401 to schedule a consultation with a skilled judgement enforcement attorney.